Avoiding Fraudulent Contractors
When selecting a home professional, using a few guidelines can help protect you from fraudulent contractors. In the City of Bucyrus, all contractors are required to be registered in order to provide services to the community. Anyone soliciting door-to-door for business is required to obtain a peddler's permit and must be able to show the permit when asked. For a list of current registered contractors please view the Registered Contractors List.
These warning signs indicate a contractor who may be running a scam:
- Does not list a number in the phone book
- Only accepts cash
- Solicits door-to-door
- Asks you to get required building permits
- Says you will get a discount if you find other customers for that contractor
- Uses left over materials to complete your job
- Tells you your job will be a demonstration
- Offers exceptionally long guarantees
- Asks you to pay for the entire job up front
- Suggests you borrow money from a lender the contractor knows
Disclaimer: This page is created to inform and educate the public only. It is not and should not be considered legal opinions or advice. You are advised to seek professional counsel before taking any action based upon information found on this page. The City of Bucyrus is not associated with the Better Business Bureau but you are encouraged to call them and ask for a list of references so you can conduct your own investigation.